Subject: Re: More student groaning and moaning
From: [email-masked] (Christopher Eric Hanson) ()
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 17 Mar 1996 11:36:35 -0800

In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked] writes:
> On Fri, 15 Mar 1996, "Bryant J Reif" <[email-masked]> wrote:
> > Now if NewTek had a student version of LW for about $300 I would buy
> >it in a second and forget all about 3DS MAX. 
> 	Oh, is a 66% price break ALL you want?

  In defense of student versions: I think they're great. Splendid way to
get newcomers 'on board'.

  Here's why they don't work: Everybody knows somebody who is a student.
Virtually any given potential customer probably has a brother or a
neice or a friend or a cousin who is a student, and could buy them the
package at the 'student' price.

  .
 . .  (therefore)
 
  The student version must be a 'crippled' version. I'm not sure what
Autodesk is planning, what with releasing a fully-equipped student version
of Max. Perhaps they have a huge heard of slavering license lawwyers or
something.

  Newtek probably doesn't. Even if they did release a crippled Lightwave,
people would probably just buy the crippleware version to get the dongle
and download the full version from alt.warez.3d.binaries.allen'n'stuart.

Chris - Xenon
-- 
 Chris Hanson | [email-masked] | I've got friends in low latitudes!
World Construction Set Web Page! <a href="http://www.dimensional.com/~questar">WCS</a>
 "There is no Truth. There is only Perception. To Perceive is to Exist." - Xen